“How do you find the time to manage all of this social media stuff?” That’s one of the most common questions I’m asked whenever I present. And sometimes, I get the sense that people are hoping that it’s so complicated and time-consuming that they’ll have a great excuse NOT to do it. Not to learn [...]
Navigating the Digital Revolution as a Woman, Entrepreneur and CEO
Welcome to the herBusiness program, where we interview inspiring businesswomen and entrepreneurs.
In this episode, we interview Susan Elliott, author of Across the Divide. Susan is a female trailblazer who went to work for IBM as a programmer back in 1958.
- what drove her entrepreneurial spark and made her want to start her own business in 1966
- the importance of businesses staying flexible and adaptable
- what it was like to be a woman in a man's world
- why being the token woman on a board might be a good thing
- her seven criteria for success
- advice for the entrepreneur who's just starting out
- what the opportunities are for women in technology today
- the future of women in technology
Enjoy this interview with Susan Elliott.
"We wore white gloves to work; some women wore hats. We sat in a big bullpen of gray desks. Men could smoke at their desks, but women were relegated to smoking in the ladies room. Everyone sang 'Ever Onward IBM' out of a hymnal at company events.When wives attended, the men with whom we worked daily avoided speaking to us. " — Susan S. Elliott, Across the Divide, Ch. 2, p. 22
You might be interested in this upcoming event...
NEW: Social Media for Small Business Webinar Series
Practical ways to use social media to grow your business
Online Webinars - Starting 28 May 2013
NEW webinar series: designed to dispel the myths about social media and arm small business owners with skills and know-how to make social media a powerful force for business development and bottom line results.
Experts will present practical ways to use social media to:
- Build brand awareness for your organisation
- Network and make connections all over the world
- Build your personal profile and position you as a credible authority
- Drive traffic to your website, blog or social networks
- Convert social media followers to leads and leads to customers
- Grow you reach with suppliers, staff, resources, alliances, sponsors