Social media is a helpful communication tool for businesses as it allows them to communicate directly with customers and engage them in conversations. Social media can also help you to increase your customers’ brand awareness and find new contacts or business opportunities. If you want to become active on social media, but don’t know [...]
Navigating the Digital Revolution as a Woman, Entrepreneur and CEO
Welcome to the herBusiness program, where we interview inspiring businesswomen and entrepreneurs.
In this episode, we interview Susan Elliott, author of Across the Divide. Susan is a female trailblazer who went to work for IBM as a programmer back in 1958.
- what drove her entrepreneurial spark and made her want to start her own business in 1966
- the importance of businesses staying flexible and adaptable
- what it was like to be a woman in a man's world
- why being the token woman on a board might be a good thing
- her seven criteria for success
- advice for the entrepreneur who's just starting out
- what the opportunities are for women in technology today
- the future of women in technology
Enjoy this interview with Susan Elliott.
"We wore white gloves to work; some women wore hats. We sat in a big bullpen of gray desks. Men could smoke at their desks, but women were relegated to smoking in the ladies room. Everyone sang 'Ever Onward IBM' out of a hymnal at company events.When wives attended, the men with whom we worked daily avoided speaking to us. " — Susan S. Elliott, Across the Divide, Ch. 2, p. 22
You might be interested in this upcoming event...
NEW: Social Media for Small Business Webinar Series
Practical ways to use social media to grow your business
Online Webinars - Starting 28 May 2013
NEW webinar series: designed to dispel the myths about social media and arm small business owners with skills and know-how to make social media a powerful force for business development and bottom line results.
Experts will present practical ways to use social media to:
- Build brand awareness for your organisation
- Network and make connections all over the world
- Build your personal profile and position you as a credible authority
- Drive traffic to your website, blog or social networks
- Convert social media followers to leads and leads to customers
- Grow you reach with suppliers, staff, resources, alliances, sponsors