“How do you find the time to manage all of this social media stuff?” That’s one of the most common questions I’m asked whenever I present. And sometimes, I get the sense that people are hoping that it’s so complicated and time-consuming that they’ll have a great excuse NOT to do it. Not to learn [...]
Mentor Magic: How to Find a Good Business Mentor
Successful, savvy business owners understand that business growth is fundamentally dependent on their personal growth, and that mentors have a vital role to play. A great mentor can work magic. On the other hand, a poor mentor could destroy you.
So a word of advice here - be careful who you ask for advice!
If you don’t have a mentor, it’s critical that you get one. Heck, get three if that’s what you need -- paid or unpaid. Maybe you need an experienced mentor to support you in specialist areas such as business planning, finance, marketing or selling?
Assess the gaps in your business and then go out and look for a magic mentor or two.
So what makes a magic mentor? Someone who:
- Shares common values with you
- Is an experienced, successful business person
- Is great in areas where you are most weak and need most help
- Is passionate about your business and your vision
- Sets a frame work and objectives for working together
- Is willing to share their past failures (& successes) with you
- Is inspiring and motivating
- Devotes time to you and commits to you
- Is well read and intelligent
- Is very well connected and networked
- Keeps you accountable and focused
- Is innovative and creative
- Challenges you, again and again
- Is resourceful and knows where and when to get help
- Helps you arrive at your own conclusions
- Feels personally rewarded by working with you
- Is a person you just love to be with
Finding a good mentor can be tricky. Do your homework and check out the great mentor resources around like the Australian Businesswomen's Network’s MentorNet Program or the mentoring packages of specialist consultants or business coaches. Even ask your networks to find someone who may be willing to do it as a labour of love.
Above all, make sure your mentor is working magic!