“How do you find the time to manage all of this social media stuff?” That’s one of the most common questions I’m asked whenever I present. And sometimes, I get the sense that people are hoping that it’s so complicated and time-consuming that they’ll have a great excuse NOT to do it. Not to learn [...]
Conversation Transformation: Overcome the Six Most Destructive Communication Patterns
Welcome to the herBusiness program, where we interview inspiring businesswomen and entrepreneurs.
In this episode, we speak to Anita Simon, co-developer of SAVI, the System for Analysing Verbal Interaction, and co-author of Conversation Transformation: Recognise and Overcome the 6 Most Destructive Communication Patterns.
In this interview, we look at:
- why communication breakdowns are more about how we are talking rather than what we are talking about
- how to identify the habit in ourselves
- the six patterns of communication breakdown
- the "Yes-But" pattern and why it can get you into arguments
- clairevoyant readings - guessing what the other person is really thinking or feeling based on either what they say or their behaviour
- negative predictions
- question traps
- gripe cycles - complaining and expressions of unfairness
- blame games
- the System for Analysing Verbal Interaction (SAVI)
Enjoy this interview with Anita Simon.