“How do you find the time to manage all of this social media stuff?” That’s one of the most common questions I’m asked whenever I present. And sometimes, I get the sense that people are hoping that it’s so complicated and time-consuming that they’ll have a great excuse NOT to do it. Not to learn [...]
Business Makeover Library
Make Over Your PR/Media Presence on Your Website
An important part of your public relations strategy should be your PR presence on your own website.
Many business owners are not aware of the importance of ensuring their website is media friendly.
Often, when the media has received a media release from a business and is preparing their news story, they will access the business’ website to check out the business’ credibility and to gather additional information.
A business with a good PR presence on their website will normally have a Media Room or News Room. This page will then contain items of interest or relevance to the media. The sorts of items to put here include:
- A history of your Media Releases. Create a library of media releases and every time you issue a new one, also post it on your website. Remember to include the dates they were released. This allows the journalist to access a handy history of your past news, advice and announcements.
- Background information about your business and its team. Include a bio of your main department leaders if applicable, as well as yourself.
- It is also a good idea to include downloadable high res images of yourself, your designated spokesperson (if not yourself) and your company logo.
- Once you have had an article published or broadcast, include it in your News Room. Published articles can be attached as a PDF, while radio interviews and TV broadcasts can either be as a webpage link or audio/video file.
- Don’t forget to include your social media links in your News Room. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube can all be added here.
Exactly how much you add in your News Room depends on your business type and how much you have available and prepared. If you are just starting out with your PR strategy, having a well-stocked and interesting News Room should definitely be one of your goals.